 General / 54078
Re: Update news on BrickShelf.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 03:30:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:

   What I am surprised about is the ingratitude of some people. Complaining? It’s almost beyond belief. Invested? Excuse me, but the only real person “invested” in Brickshelf is Kevin himself. People only felt “betrayed” because they were too dumb not to have backed up their own content.

I’m grateful that brickshelf exists, but I still don’t see why that should give him a free pass for pulling a stunt like he did. It’s simply bad business practice. If that’s how he wants to run his business, that’s fine, but I won’t be a customer. No emotional response there, just economical.

I think you’re reading too much into it. My view is this - brickshelf as a free resource is nice and useful. There’s things that irk me about it, but I can live with them because it’s free. As a paid service, I’d want to see some significant improvements, and from where I sit, that’s looking unlikely, but I’m prepared to wait and see.

If brickshelf goes away, I won’t lose any sleep.

Allister

Maybe the plan was to cause a mass exodus from brickshelf to other services, in order to lower the bandwidth cost and make it manageable. If so, it certainly is likely to work.

More power to brickshelf staying alive. It would be sad to see it die, as many an old MOC would be lost, but if people leave it and go to other sources, no big deal. The whole “all your eggs in one basket” is certainly apropos for this community.

Adrian