 General / 54043
Re: Update news on BrickShelf.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:39:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Sterling wrote
   Tim:

What is considered a valid file size/resolution for BS pics? I’ve always kinda wondered what I should resize to for BS. I usually upload at 1024x768, but sometimes 1600x1200 if I really want people to see fine detail. Is this too big? I have to say that there are times when I would love to see larger pictures of other peoples MOC’s so I can accurately see the construction methods used as well as see details on a large MOC. That’s how I learn.

I can’t speak for Tim, but for myself:

Pictures on the net should be no smaller than 500 pixels high, 600 is good, 700 is pushing it. I base this off of how large the photo is on my screen. I prefer to see a photo without needing to scroll up/down or left/right.

For pictures with a higher resolution and you want to show detail, crop the larger photo to make one that is 500x500 (or so). If you post more of these on Bshelf, then people can look from the folder view to pick which detail photo that they want to see the larger version of.

But generally, Tim’s rant isn’t against large photos of highly detailed MOCs that benefit from closer viewing. It is against 5000x7000 photos of blurry, poorly made pieces thrown together, as if by trained monkeys. Then, when these horrible pictures are posted again and again by trolls in forums, which wastes bandwidth with crap.

-Lenny Hoffman