 General / 54056
Re: Update news on BrickShelf.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2007 01:38:26 GMT

"Tedward" <tgodwin@victoriaSPAM-BLOCK.tc.ca> wrote in message
news:JLHGzI.o6C@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Tony Kilaras wrote:
Kevin made the point that needed to be made in a short, sweet and
effective
way. Rather brilliant on his part, I must say.

What point was that?

That Brickshelf is unique, needed and valuable, but it costs money to run.
Hopefully, we learned something about of the how valuable Brickshelf is to
the community, even if it we had to learn it the hard way.

That a single individual can control so much of the online LEGO world?

And how is Kevin responsible for that?

That as the sole owner and operator of a web service of huge importance to
the
AFOL community he has neither tact nor the ability to communicate?

I've been using Brickshelf since its inception ( I forget the name it had
prior to Brickshelf), and Kevin has NEVER been very communicative. Why that
is I don't know, but it is nothing new or surprising.

That he can make people sweat and stress and argue for DAYS when the point
could
have been made with a 12-24 hour "outage"?

It would not have been effective. Everyone would have shrugged it off.

That he can retroactively declare a malicious act a publicity stunt?

I would hardly call what he did malicious.

I don't know the guy and I have always loved BrickShelf but frankly unless
it
passes into the control of a consortium of AFOL's I am not at all assured
one
day  it won't just turn off again for good. No amount of reassurances from
the
current owner or any of his supporters is likely to change that opinion
right
now.

Even if we assume that the above scenario materializes, at $5/month how much
would you really lose? This discussion is getting a little ridiculous.