 General / 54014
Re: Update news on BrickShelf.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:57:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy Gould wrote:

   One thing that does worry me about the new system is this part of the message: ‘without reducing functionality for free users’. The current system for free users wastes disk space and bandwidth, as well as the nerves and time of people using BS. Without a change to this system I would find it hard to justify me paying $60US a year in order to allow these idiots to waste my time (and up until this point I have been donating regularly so I’m not just trying to be cheap).

This is not really a criticism of Kevin as he has made a system which allows people to post what they like. This system has, unfortunately, been abused (and that abuse supported to a degree) by ignorance, laziness and stupidity. I would really like to see free users forbidden from uploading any images with a filesize greater than 256Kb. That size still allows people to post accurate and clear images of their work but stops the pointless 2048x1568 barely compressed straight-from-the-camera rubbish that everyone I have spoken to about it are sick of.

Please, please, please let this be done as a service for all users, paying or otherwise, and if not for them as a service to BS itself to reduce its costs.

Tim

Tim,

I have to disagree with a blanket restriction regarding filesize restrictions for images. While a 256K limit is fine for single MOCs (like your dazzling creations), it can be inadequate for other things like train displays and larger MOCs like space ships. However, you do raise a legitimate concern that I share. Instead of a blanket restriction, perhaps these would work better:

(1) a ban on bmp files;

(2) a customizable “filter” whereby the user can set a limit as to what size images can be viewed;

(3) a customizable “filter” whereby a border is placed around large images/folders so that the user can avoid them if desired;

(4) a blacklist/killfile feature whereby a user can add users who upload content of no interest to them.