 General / 54072
Re: Update news on BrickShelf.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2007 03:55:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Ted Godwin wrote:

   The only thing clear is that this person cannot be trusted with such a crucial role in the AFOL world.

The ingratitude is staggering, Ted. That “crucial role” was created by that person. Brickshelf, the institution, is what it is today because of Kevin’s generosity and commitment to it for the past ten years.

Brickshelf became what it is in no small part because of the thousands of people uploading content. Kevin is merely providing the real estate.

I knew somebody would offer that argument. Sure, Brickshelf depends upon content, but if Brickshelf weren’t around, that content would be scattered across the net, unseen by most. “Merely providing the real estate” Are you serious!? That “merely” equates to 100 of hours of moderation time, $1,000s in REAL out-of-pocket expenses over period of ten years! There’s nothing “merely” about it! And by making those sacrifices and commitment, the institution of Brickshelf was made possible to exist. Without him first stepping up to the plate, nothing happens.

   Why are you surprised that people feel invested in it, and somewhat betrayed by these events?

What I am surprised about is the ingratitude of some people. Complaining? It’s almost beyond belief. Invested? Excuse me, but the only real person “invested” in Brickshelf is Kevin himself. People only felt “betrayed” because they were too dumb not to have backed up their own content.

   What is ridiculous is that any AFOL would ever trust this person with their images again, let alone PAY for the privilege of watching their images held to ransom next time he wants to make a point.

That spurious comment would be laughable were it not so offensive. Listen, if you don’t want Brickshelf to host your images, fine. But do yourself a favor-- spare the attacks and simply enjoy what Brickshelf has to offer in silence, because they say more about you than him.

JOHN

I’d hardly call that an ‘attack’.

On the contrary; calling someone untrustworthy after ten years of faithful, free service is the very definition of a spurious attack in my book.

   Kevin may be well within his rights to pull a stunt like he did, but I don’t see why anyone has to be grateful for it.

Don’t be obtuse. I am talking about being grateful for the ten year faithful stunt he pulled from 1998-2007.

JOHN