 General / 54026
Re: Update news on BrickShelf.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:50:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joel Midgley wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Joel Midgley wrote:
   I’m kind of worried about that myself. If generating revenue was a problem, I’m not sure how this will help given that users can still opt for a free, non-premium account. If the freeloading userbase was the problem, why not implement a minimum fee for all users rather than charging $60 per year to what will likely be a very small minority? Right now, I wonder if this fee will have any significant impact on Brickshelf’s bottom line.

I think cutting off free access would be kinda harsh. But I could definitely see restricted access -- limited resolution on files, etc.

Steve

I guess my greatest concern is that not enough members actually pony up the cash. We could easily end up back at square one six months from now. Brickshelf has accepted donations in the past with limited success. What’s to say that this monthly fee will be any different? It’s quite expensive compared to sites like Flickr. I think that restricted access would have to be very restricted before most people even consider making a financial contribution.

Hi, all--

Elsewhere on LUGnet, Kevin explains a lot. This is not going to be a moneymaker for him; rather, it will help to defray the costs of what has gotten to be a very expensive proposition.

Here’s a quick math lesson: right now, let’s say the cost to Kevin to run Brickshelf per month is $1000 USD. (It’s probably more, but this will do.) If 100 people pay into this, that’s only $500 USD a month. Still no profit--but now, Kevin’s got some relief from all of that coming out of his own pocket.

If the cost is less than $1000 per month, and 100 people buy into it, then it carries its own frieght and (maybe) turns a small profit. Then, Kevin recovers some of what he’s spent. I’d say he’s due, given all the work he puts into it.

Just my two cents--and like a number of people, I’ll be watching to see what things will be there for that $5/month. But...I’m willing to pony up to help keep it going.

Play Well and Prosper,

Matthew “The Brick Detective”