 General / 54045
Re: Brickshelf Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:31:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

   Kevin:

I don’t know about other AFOLs, but right now I have very little trust in Brickshelf’s continued viability, and certainly not enough to give you $60 a year.

I have faith in Brickshelf; enough to pay $60/year. So at least now you know about one AFOL....

I don’t expect to get things for free

Really? Looks to me like you never ever bothered to contribute to Brickshelf. Why not? Maybe because it was free?

   I just spent $25 to upgrade to a Flickr Pro account. I do expect that if I spend money on a service, that it will be there when I need it. How do we know you aren’t going to shut Brickshelf down again without any communication?

Have fun with Flickr. I dare you to take down your BS account. But if you do, have fun in MOC obscurity.

JOHN

Why haven’t I contributed to Brickshelf? The owner has threatened to shut it down several times (this last time without any notice), does not respond to emails or posts, and can shut it down again at any time without consulting anyone. It just never seemed like a good use of my money.

I have donated to LUGNET, which is run by more than one person, and which has always communicated with its users. The same goes for Flickr. True, both of these services may shut down at any time, but I have faith that they would consult with their users first. And I could have freeloaded on both of those services, but I had faith in the products and their operators.

What, I should take my Brickshelf account down just to prove how valuable I am to the world? Great idea, but someone just pulled the same stunt a couple days ago...

Marc Nelson Jr.