 General / 54016
Re: Brickshelf Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:27:28 GMT

In lugnet.announce.brickshelf, Kevin Loch wrote:

I had long ago written off various ides for charging recurring fees because
AFOLs and geeks in general expect everything on the web to be free.

I think people are somewhat more open to paying for Internet content than they
used to be. While it's easy to shrug off requests for donations, $5/month is
pretty nominal.

So we are going to try something new and see if it works.   The site will
continue to work as it does now for free users.   Paying users will have
the opportunity to have greater visibility of their folders (that pass
moderation and are not junk/avatars).  Of course paying users would
also not see ads nor have ads on their folders.

Will paying users be able to customize their accounts? I posted a few ideas
here:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=54014

I don't know if allowing the site to continue to work as it does now for free
users is going to generate enough revenue. I think uploading should continue as
it does now, but restrictions should be placed on viewing and downloading for
free users. I would hate for this situation to arise 6 months from now. I can't
see $5/month is a burden on anyone.