 General / 54085
Re: Brickshelf Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 03:57:02 GMT

I'm fairly sure the first part of this post has already been mentioned in this
discussion, but I'll echo it with different words.

Restricting images to non-.bmp formats will save a lot of space for starters, as
will pixel limits.  I have images that are 2048x1536, and about 650k.  If the
height/width are cut in half (1024x768) to a perfectly reasonable size, the
filesize is cut down to about quarter of it's original size, around 125k.

I'm no programmer, but if someone could write a simple program to scan the
entire Brickshelf system for bmps and images over a certain height/width, then
automatically send that user an e-mail, with a warning that their content will
be deleted in [X] days if they don't modify them, could work wonders.  Just
before implementing that, adjust the upload system so that no bmps or other
large file types can be uploaded, and put a max on the dimensions of the pics.

As far as the pricing of $5/month, that doesn't seem too bad, considering people
pay $15/month for various online games, AFTER dropping $50 to buy the game at
the store.  There would need to be nice features associated with the premium
accounts, though, to entice people away from free accounts.  No ads and no
dimensions limitations would be a nice start.