 Gaming / 283
Re: BirkWars, BrickFest, Some Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 02:06:38 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Mike Rayhawk writes:
Ha ha I wish!  We were playing a game about a month ago with the Shogun's
Imperial Army vs. the Mountain Bandits and the imperials were similarly
organized, we kept wishing that we had such a rule.  We tried a number of
different ways to handle group rolls at various points during the game, but
none of them really worked out very well.

If you're interested, I could use a little trick demonstrated in a game a
friend from college wrote which made a trivial way to utilize a normal
distribution curve to generate results from mass dice rolling. Of course you
still come up against the issue indicated below:

I feel the same way.  About the only thing we tried that made any sense was,
if you have a bunch of the same kind of troop attacking with the same kind of
weapon, make all their Attack Rolls at the same time (for instance, if you
have 12 guys who need to roll a 3 on 1d6 to hit, roll 12d6 and count how many
dice come up 3 or higher).  When you've counted how many of them hit, the
defender chooses which of your troops get the good rolls and which ones get
the bad rolls.

This of course gives an advantage to the defender. What might be more fair is
to let each player allocate half of the hits. This gives the players equal
incentive to usethe shortcut. In the "defender allocates all the hits" method,
I'd let the attacker chose to exclude any critical rolls, and in the 50-50
split, I'd allow either player to force specific rolls to be individually
made. What this effectively means is that if there is a line of attackers
matched to a line of defenders, but there are one or two defenders in very
critical positions, these will be individually rolled for (in a "defender
choses", these guys obviously won't be hit unless the attacker scores almost
all hits, and in the 50-50 split, they would almost always be hit - neither
result is good).

Of course, another good one to apply is the "law of averages". If the attacker
is attacking at a huge advantage such that the expected result (% chance to
hit * number of attacks) is significantly greater than the number of defenders
(assuming a "one hit kills" system), then just assume all the defenders are
killed (I got so annoyed at one D&D player who wanted me to roll a to hit for
every bullet from a machine gun, the expected damage was something like 100
times his hit points, I wanted to just roll a d100 and if I got a 00, he
lived).

Frank