 Events / 2224
Subject:
AFOLs feelin' no love
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:14:23 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Man, I can't believe the stuff that's going on.

Somebody (BrickFair) is not revealing enough about money, and somebody is else
watching out to make sure nobody gets rich off organizing an AFOL event (a
hilarious concept to anybody of us who have actually organized something like
this). Somebody else (Joe) is revealing too much about money. Somebody else (Joe
again) is getting hassled for wanting to produce a fan magazine and maybe even
make some money off it.

Go to an event if you think the admission price is right and you want to have
fun. Don't go if the price is too high and if you're just going to be a stick in
the mud. Look - if AFOL events end up putting their organizers in debt, then
there won't be any AFOL events.

Same thing with Brick Journal. Buy the magazine if you think it's worth it.
Don't buy the magazine if you think the price is too high. Brick Journal is
Joe's baby, and he has visions for it. If your visions for a fan magazine are
different, then get to work and create it.

Holy cow. Stop criticizing the work of others. The BrickFair people and Joe are
our brothers (and sisters?) in the AFOL community. I want them to succeed. We're
not in competition with each other, folks.

Re: AFOLs feelin' no love
In lugnet.events, Duane Collicott wrote:
[...]

AMEN. Nuff said.

Re: AFOLs feelin' no love
In lugnet.events, Duane Collicott wrote:

--snip good rant--

This

Re: AFOLs feelin' no love
In lugnet.events, Duane Collicott wrote:
   Man, I can’t believe the stuff that’s going on.

Somebody (BrickFair) is not revealing enough about money, and somebody is else watching out to make sure nobody gets rich off organizing an AFOL event (a hilarious concept to anybody of us who have actually organized something like this).

http://news.lugnet.com/events/?n=2051

The total profit that went to BrickJournal Media LLC was about $13,000. This is in addition to the $3,000 that went to AMH Productions for use of the BrickFest name, as determined by an agreement that was signed in December 2005. It should be noted that this profit came from public day reciepts.

   Somebody else (Joe) is revealing too much about money. Somebody else (Joe again) is getting hassled for wanting to produce a fan magazine and maybe even make some money off it.

Go to an event if you think the admission price is right and you want to have fun. Don’t go if the price is too high and if you’re just going to be a stick in the mud. Look - if AFOL events end up putting their organizers in debt, then there won’t be any AFOL events.

It’s a false argument that organizers of AFOL events must be compensated in order for any events to take place. I don’t believe anyone received any compensation for the first two (?) Brickfests - events at which I and many other AFOLs had a great time. And here’s a non-LEGO example of a huge event run without compensation:

Are Otakorp, Inc.‘s officers paid?

No. All of our officers must be volunteers, and may not receive material compensation for their efforts on behalf of the organization. In accordance with usual practices for officers of a corporation, they are eligible to be compensated for travel expenses, but in practice this seldom happens.

   Same thing with Brick Journal. Buy the magazine if you think it’s worth it. Don’t buy the magazine if you think the price is too high. Brick Journal is Joe’s baby, and he has visions for it. If your visions for a fan magazine are different, then get to work and create it.

Holy cow. Stop criticizing the work of others. The BrickFair people and Joe are our brothers (and sisters?) in the AFOL community. I want them to succeed. We’re not in competition with each other, folks.

Please read my post again. Does anything in it sound like criticism? Are we allowed to ask any questions of the organizers of AFOL events?

As far as I’m concerned, I had a very polite and helpful exchange with the organizer of Brickfair 2008, which resulted in potentially useful information being posted for the edification of fellow AFOLs. What’s the problem?

Marc Nelson Jr.

Re: AFOLs feelin' no love
[...]

Duane, brother, let me break it down for you:

I want my free image hosting! (screw you Kevin)
I want my free magazine! (screw you Joe)
I want my free fest! (screw you Christina, Joe, Wayne, Steve, and anyone else
who's ever operated a fest that wasn't free.)

On that note.

I want some free Lego!
I want some free swag!
I want some free beer!