 Events / 2295
Re: AFOLs feelin' no love
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 02:51:02 GMT

In lugnet.events, Duane Collicott wrote:
In lugnet.events, Todd Thuma wrote:
Duane,
I for one, do not have all of the answers, but without knowing up front that the
convention is for profit or not for profit how can I make an informed decision
and vote my approval with or without my attendance?

Respectfully,

Todd

I never thought of it that way. My decision whether to attend fests has always
involved the benefits I will receive from it (fun, community, etc).

Duane,

I do to! But I am also concerned about the purpose of the event. Had I not
previously been a marginal part of a scandal, I might not have the question of
money formost in my mind, but it is a concern. I have come to call many members
of the community my friends and while I do not write them or call them on a
regular basis, I still think of them often. I trust many of them and do not wish
harm or ill will upon anyone. Organizing a 'Fest is a big responsibility and
much financial risk as other organizers can attest to.

For me the benefits of attending always out way the cost I put into attending.
As the credit card bills come due, I never regret a penny I spend or the
interest I will pay. (Okay there was that one night at that one bar, I regret.
Boy I would like to have the money I spent on those 30 vodkas and tequillas
back.) The point is the money aspect can ruin these conventions for the majority
of us if not considered and discussed.

The talk and discussion is fine. When I wrote that post, Joe was getting mangled
from multiple directions, and the negativity needed some balancing-out.

Well, I missed that and I appreciate your efforts to balance the discussion. Too
often I feel that people are not able to look at all sides. I debated in High
School, (and many will say all the rest of my life) and I learned to be able to
see both sides of an arguement and debate it successfully. So, yes, I see the
other side from the organizers point of view. It is nobody's business what I do
with the cash for my hard work in organizing the event.

On the flip side, how successful will public day be if no one brings their MOCs?
Do those that go to great expense to bring thousands of dollars worth of MOCs to
a convention deserve to have their efforts used as a profit center for a handful
of organizers without compensation? Or should Public day funds be used simply to
offset the cost of convention facilities to keep the costs low for the
attendees? I, of course, advocate the later of the two points of view.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Todd