 Dear LEGO / 5328
5327  |  5329
Subject:
Vikings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 05:22:03 GMT

Here's the full answer:

Erik Olson:
Why did Lego wait until 2005 to explore a Scandinavian theme with Vikings?

Jørgen Vig Knudstorp:
There's several answers to that. One is I think there's some Scandinavian
humbleness-- we did not think anybody would find Vikings interesting!

I'm slightly overwhelmed by it. I can tell you the sets especially the medium
size 7017 are flying as hotcakes at the moment, and we also see great interest
in the biggest set 7019 and the ship [7018] that she [Christina] showed us a
moment ago.

But if you're truly a Vikings person--I gave this set to a 7 year old (I
received some early editions)--she looked at this and she said:

--You know vikings had no horns in their helmets.

--There really weren't any dragons in the times of Vikings.

And so on we went ...

I think we've made also a little bit of a mess of Nordic mythology.  Sometimes
Kjeld and our other partners of the board refer to it as "this Viking or
whatever line it is." But I think its going to be a great line and hope to
continue it based on the early reads.

Frankly when we presented to the retailers in February we expected a fairly
sceptical reception but it was even back then an overwhelming positive reception
which means we immediately started plans for extending it next year.

But you see that in the US I think Mike was correct it's an exclusive
distribution with Toys R Us. It's the same in the UK with an exclusive with
Woolworth. And that reflects on some of the scepticism it's met with. That's the
story so far.