 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2539
Re: MegaBloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:39:50 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Kirby Warden wrote:
I'll admit that Megabloks look really cool on the shelf.  But I have to question
a really cool looking Pirate ship or castle w/ dragon when there's only a
hundred pcs or so.

Surely you include LEGO's new "Lil' Pirates" line, or whatever it's called, in
your critique?  One of the new Pirates Jr. ships has only 140 pieces.

I try not to aknowledge the Junior line.  Though I have bought some Junior sets
at deep discount for some chrome pcs and out of curiosity as to what I might be
able to do with some of the parts.  Most of the pcs went to my kids who
gleefully found their own uses for them.

I look at the boxes and see a LOT of juniorization.  And talk
about color problems!!  There's so many multi-hued pcs and graphics it's
somewhat overwhelming.

You're showing your age, Kirby!  I don't think that multi-hued pics and graphics
bother kids as much as you might think.  If they did, Japanese animation would
disappear, and most action figure lines would vanish as well.

Am making no assumptions here, I love anime and admit that the toys could be the
only thing keeping the toy market floating at this time.  However, I was
refering directly to the excuse that color issues are part of the reason why
someone would choose Megabloks over Lego.

The Lego Vikings are certainly interesting, but their pushing it with the
strange "realistic" paint.  I'm very glad to see that the beasts are multi-pc
constructions rather than molds.

While the Megabloks Dragons are great to look at, I would much prefer Lego use
their new hinge pcs and design multi-pc constructions that actually need to be
built.

I'm less awed by a piece-built figure that, in the end, sort of almost looks
like what it's trying to be, if you blur your eyes.  If the figs and monsters
are poseable and work alongside basic bricks, that's enough for me.  YMMV, of
course.

I have a tub full of molded Lego beasts/animals that serve no function what so
ever.  I've seen my kids play with theirs on occasion, but not in conjuction
with a MOC.  Molded beasts are fine for specific themes.  However it suits my
own purposes more if the pcs can be reused outside of a theme.  Admittedly, the
Megabloks dragons are superior display pcs and several of them could make for a
nice collection.  I have no doubt that these dragons will be in high demand in a
few years.

I respect you descision, but I have to question the logic behind it.  Megabloks
themes offer very little for building.  They make nice playsets, but when the
largest set in theme has about a hundred pcs, can it really be that much better?

Well, give it time--the series was just launched in the past three weeks or so.
Bionicle looked like the dumbest thing ever, until it took off.  And whatever
happened to Galidor?

I have no doubt that the Pyrates line will be successful.  It looks like a
really cool series of playsets.  As a toy, Megabloks stand on their own and will
not be giving up ground easily.  But as a substitute for Lego they fall far
short of a universal building system.  G.I. Joe was fantastic to me because I
had to build the vehicles and playsets.  I believe that this holds true for
Megabloks themes.  However, this reduces Megabloks themes to action toys that
must be built, rather than a building system whose pcs can be combined with
other lines of product.  I would hazard a guess that Lego system is %80 reusable
across themes (minus whole minifigs, specialtly/printed pcs) while Megabloks
themes are only%20 reusable.  ("reusable" isn't the word I want here...)

It's hard to predict how the toy market will behave, but I think that Richard's
defection will not be the last.

I don't consider a defection as much as a change of taste.  If he combines
Megabloks elements with Lego pcs as he states his intentions, I would be
interested to see the results.  However, if he's really just looking for a
cheaper poduct that offers more detail, am I the only one who noticed that
Megabloks themes are no longer a cheap alternative to Lego?  I was at TRU
yesterday and saw a Dragons castle with 170 (or maybe 140) pcs for $40.  I
turned around to compare Lego prices per pc and was shocked to find that most
Lego sets were actually a better deal.  I picked up a recent Star Wars set that
was 180pcs at $30.

Dave!