 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2540
Re: MegaBloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:05:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands , Kirby Warden wrote:
I have no doubt that the Pyrates line will be successful.  It looks like a
really cool series of playsets.  As a toy, Megabloks stand on their own and > will not be giving up ground easily.

Hi Kirby thanks for your response!

I can see in the next few years Megabloks gaining greater market share and
continuing to improve it's product line in terms  of quality, realism and
general appeal to a wider youth audience then Lego.

But as a substitute for Lego they fall far short of a universal building >system.

Oh, but you see, i have a huge collection... some where in the 180- 200K range.
So Megablok is simply serving as a supplement.

If Lego was able to adapt and bring a greater maturity to their product lines,
IMHO they'd do a lot better. It's always better to shout higher and get kids to
build better models with more realism, that has that 'cool' factor, than appeal
to a younger audience with simpler sets and less inspiring system lines. For
example, Lego would have been far more dynamic to get the license for Lord of
the Rings(R), than Harry Potter(R)...although the Potter series is getting
really edgy and mature in the last few installments of the novels as Harry
Potter evolves and matures. This'd be a great opportunity for TLG to appeal to
kids 8-11 and fight to keep them instead of accepting that that group is lost to
computer games and girls.

And p.s. thanks for forwarding to the appropriate news groups as well!

Just my thoughts,

                        --==Richard==--