 Dear LEGO / 5288
Re: MegaBloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:28:15 GMT

Kirby Warden wrote:

I'll admit that Megabloks look really cool on the shelf.  But I have to
question a really cool looking Pirate ship or castle w/ dragon when
there's only a hundred pcs or so. I look at the boxes and see a LOT of
juniorization.

I agree, the dragons themselves are, well, sculptured giant-figs. They
aren't bricks.

And talk about color problems!!  There's so many multi-hued pcs and
graphics it's somewhat overwhelming.

Well, MB hasn't figured out more isn't better for the palette. Instead of
having a global palette with, say, two dozen colors in it (which LEGO even
breaks this rule, sadly, for the Harry Potter and Star Wars lines, making
HP- and SW-only colors), they have a palette of a dozen colors for every
theme; this leads to hundreds of colors after awhile. Marvel, Pirates,
Dragons, and whatever else they have is all adding up to having way more
than two dozen colors.

This just confuses kids, and makes it even harder to get a nicely colored
MOC. You think OldGray and Bley is bad? Imagine having that /multiple/
times for each color.

The Lego Vikings are certainly interesting, but their pushing it with the
strange "realistic" paint.  I'm very glad to see that the beasts are
multi-pc constructions rather than molds.

The beasts maybe multi piece, but that doesn't make them configurable, it
only makes them positionable. These are no mini-figs, son, no mini-figs!

While the Megabloks Dragons are great to look at, I would much prefer Lego
use their new hinge pcs and design multi-pc constructions that actually
need to be built.

I agree. I'd rather have something Bionicleish/Knightish to have reusable
generic parts melded with special-use detail pieces.

I respect you descision, but I have to question the logic behind it.
Megabloks themes offer very little for building.  They make nice playsets,
but when the largest set in theme has about a hundred pcs, can it really
be that much better?

I totally agree here, Megablock has painted their way into a corner. *cough*

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || pmcfarland@downeast.net
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,