 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2543
Re: MegaBloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:23:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Kirby Warden wrote:
I have a tub full of molded Lego beasts/animals that serve no function what so
ever.  I've seen my kids play with theirs on occasion, but not in conjuction
with a MOC.  Molded beasts are fine for specific themes.  However it suits my
own purposes more if the pcs can be reused outside of a theme.  Admittedly, the
Megabloks dragons are superior display pcs and several of them could make for a
nice collection.  I have no doubt that these dragons will be in high demand in a
few years.
After many years of LEGO purchases, I've recently added some MB sets. As I live
in Denmark, I can buy only LEGO in the stores, and pays the very high price
accordingly. So to get MB sets, I have to buy from UK or USA.
I have bought quite a number of MB Dragon War sets, but the dragons themselves
get ditched immediately - in a tub in the basement. My interest is solely in the
landscape baseplates and the structural elements like walls and rounded bricks.
As the Pyrates line offer very little of this, I have no intention of buying any
of these sets, but the coming Dragons Orient sets might get on the to-buy list.

I have no doubt that the Pyrates line will be successful.  It looks like a
really cool series of playsets.  As a toy, Megabloks stand on their own and will
not be giving up ground easily.  But as a substitute for Lego they fall far
short of a universal building system.  G.I. Joe was fantastic to me because I
had to build the vehicles and playsets.  I believe that this holds true for
Megabloks themes.  However, this reduces Megabloks themes to action toys that
must be built, rather than a building system whose pcs can be combined with
other lines of product.  I would hazard a guess that Lego system is %80 reusable
across themes (minus whole minifigs, specialtly/printed pcs) while Megabloks
themes are only%20 reusable.  ("reusable" isn't the word I want here...)

It's hard to predict how the toy market will behave, but I think that Richard's
defection will not be the last.

I don't consider a defection as much as a change of taste.  If he combines
Megabloks elements with Lego pcs as he states his intentions, I would be
interested to see the results.
I have both LEGO, MB and Playmobil, and sometimes I mix all of them in
playscapes, but normally I keep them seperated. For rendition of scenes from
Tolkien (the books, not the films), like Battle of Helms Deep, I find MB much
more versatile than LEGO or Playmobil. For scenes like Prouncing Pony in Bree,
LEGO is by far the best, and for scenes like Tom Bombadil in the Old Forest the
Playmobil landscape elements and scrubbery comes in handy.
So, like Richard, I'm not defecting, just expanding my horizon.
I still have 2400+ LEGO sets, and I'll keep buying LEGO, even if I dislike the
very historically incorrect LEGO Viking sets (Vikings never used catapults!! -
but LEGO seems to suffer from catapultitis in all themes except Police - yet).
Arne, Copenhagen