 Dear LEGO / 5290
Re: MegaBloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 03:29:02 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Patrick McFarland wrote:
Richard Noeckel wrote:
Just some of my thoughts...

Eh, I don't like the Dragon product line. The occasional special piece in a
kit is great (Bionicle pushes the limits of good taste, but doesn't break
them), the Dragon line is hard to be considered bricks at all. From what
I've seen, there are very few studs on many of their products (such as this
dragon-in-an-egg product, I can't find any studs or stud holes in it; to be
fair, the translucent foggy shell does obscure some of it).

Just for reference, the Dragon Eggs sets are marketed as what they are--a Dragon
figure in an egg, with no claims of included bricks.  The Dragons typically have
a four-stud arrangement on their backs to accommodate a seated minifig.

Other sets have about as many studs and stud-holes as a standard LEGO castle
that uses the modular wall system. Granted, the MB wall sections are more
specialized than LEGO's (that's possessive, not plural) are, but the idea is
basically the same.  Admittedly, other Dragons sets are modularized to the point
where conventional bricks are almost entirely absent.

I haven't seen their Pirate line, because Walmart is carrying less of MB
than they are of LEGO (see "Ahh, the old times..."), so its just 3 or 4
different Dragon products, their Marvel line (of which I can say is just a
clone of the Bionicle-in-a-can or Knights-in-a-can concept), and their
micro-building stuff. About a dozen products total.

I've noticed the conceptual similarity between Bionicle and the new Marvel
Tech-Bot sets.  I'm not thrilled with either, to be honest, but I think the
Tech-Bots include at least a few conventional bricks.

As far as the shelf-space at Wal*Mart, the tides shift endlessly.  Before the
recent Star Wars deluge, my Wal*Mart had about ten or fifteen LEGO sets, and the
were interspersed with MEGABLOKS, C3, and Best-Lock.

Dave!