 Castle / 18654
Re: 2004 Castle Products
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:16:06 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jake McKee wrote:
snip
Brad says that he sticks to his statement that next year should be a banner
year for Castle-heads. And that's all we're going to (or can) say about that
- for now.
snip

While I greet this news with some relief, I would like to voice some concern
over this, some of the recent posts (no, I'm not going to bring them all up
again) mentioned that castle has had some sets over the last 2 years, however,
these sets (guarded inn, black falcons fortress and the blacksmith shop) are
only available either from the internet, or through (I think) the Lego shops.
They are not available to the general public who generally impulse buy. If they
see it in their local toy shop/department store etc and they have money in their
pocket, then they buy it.

So far, there are no Lego shops in my country (New Zealand), and I have not
heard of any plans to open any here, after all, the entire population of the
country is considerably less than a lot of US (and European) cities.

So the point I am getting to is, IF there are any new castle sets to be released
next year, I just pray that they are not shop@home internet specials, because if
they are, then I am doomed to just browsing the sites showing the sets and
sighing and thinking "Oh well, maybe one day . . . ."

As an aside for Lego to think about.

Personally, I think this is the second year that Lego has dropped the ball over
christmas sales. For the second year running Megablocks have put out large
displays of fantasy/dragon sets (I have not purchased any so far, so I don't
know what the quality is like) and, unfortunately, there are no corresponding
Lego castle themed models on the shelf to compete. I think this would have been
a great opportunity for Lego to have produced a special run of the guarded inn,
black falcons fortress and blacksmith shop and released them to department
stores, toy shops etc, because judging by the way the Megablock sets sell out
rather rapidly, their are a lot of kids (and adults) who want to buy castle
sets.

Anyway - here's hoping (with all fingers crossed etc)

Ken Bailey