 Castle / 18660
Re: 2004 Castle Products
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:44:58 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jake McKee wrote:

   Yes, there is a new Knights Kingdom series coming next year, which does include what we call “constraction” (constructible action) figures.

After the stupendous success of Galidor, I have nothing but great optimism for this product line.

   The inclusion of one thing doesn’t equal the demise of another.

I’m sorry, but very often this is exactly the case, at least for several years. The inclusion of juniorization equaled the demise of good piece:price ratio in LEGO sets for close to a decade. The inclusion of broad expansion into non-brick-based merchandising has equalled the demise of quality releases in brick-based products. The inclusion Creator tubs has equalled the demise of the very popular 1200-piece tubs. The inclusion of fast turnover, unsupported themes has equalled the demise, in those themes, of longitudinal collectibility and play value.

The inclusion of one thing doesn’t automatically lead to the demise of other things, but the business plan of TLG for at least several long years has favored profit driven products-du-jour at the expense of quality exploration into other arenas. It can certainly be argued that products not currently on the market are merely “on hold,” but, absent some assurance from the company, then such arguments are no different from wishful thinking. Even with the company’s assurances, we’re still stuck with several years without a favorite product or product line.

   Let the reading between the lines begin!

I wasn’t born a clone-zealot, but I was driven to it by years of disappointment in a brand that I had, at that time, loved for over two decades. It saddens me to see the continuation of the same practices that drove me from LEGO in the first place.

Thank you for taking the time to address the concerns of the LUGNET community nonetheless.

Dave!