 Castle / 18627
18626  |  18628
Subject:
2004 Castle Products
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:29:20 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

What a boost in Castle traffic in the last week! There has been quite a bit of discussion about how system castle is about to be completely and forever replaced by a Castle/Bionicle combo. This info has been gathered (or created) based on leaks, rumors, and incomplete or incorrect info.

It’s important to remember that until you have the actual product in hand, or you have seen/read an official announcement, you don’t know the full story. Rumors can stir up a bit of craziness that generates yet more rumors. The castle furor is a great case in point.

Yes, there is a new Knights Kingdom series coming next year, which does include what we call “constraction” (constructible action) figures. Those figures are previewed currently in the UK edition of LEGO Magazine. Some people have (illogically and hastily) reached the conclusion that these figures = Castle = System-scale Castle is no more. Once this conclusion was reached, panic and hysteria ensues. “Castle has been replaced by Bionicle! By Galidor! Bionicle, Galidor, and Castle have merged into one! System Castle is dead! LEGO doesn’t care about castle fans!”

This is just plain wrong.

The inclusion of one thing doesn’t equal the demise of another. Back to the “wait for the facts” discussion: Who said System scale Castle is dead? Not us. Hey, it’s one of our core, classic themes - do you think we’re just going to trash it?

Without giving away the farm (or fiefdom, for you castle folks), we can say that the existence of these figures in no way precludes the existence of a System-scale Castle theme. And the figures are unequivocally not a replacement for the Castle theme that you all know and love. They are a new dimension to the theme - an addition - which we believe will help draw even more kids to the Castle theme. And though Brad was intentionally cryptic about Castle at the NWBrickCon Q&A (Q: Castle? A: Yes) he wasn’t talking about these figures. System-scale Castle is very much alive. It should be added that the existence of Harry Potter also doesn’t preclude the existence of a more traditional System-scale Castle theme - we’ve not said otherwise. And - here’s a bit of news, by the way - there will be new Harry Potter sets in 2004; and yes, we do have the license through the next movie... at least.

Brad says that he sticks to his statement that next year should be a banner year for Castle-heads. And that’s all we’re going to (or can) say about that - for now.

Let the reading between the lines begin!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison