 Castle / 18662
Re: 2004 Castle Products
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:47:50 GMT

   After the color change announcement (Rocco, this one’s for you) I think there will be a lot of wild theories floating around.

Thanks for the consideration.

   The train of though goes like this “If Lego will discontinue core colors what else are they capable of?”

Now this is interesting. What is TLG capable of? We’ve seen the quality of Castle sets progressively get worse every year since about 1992. We’ve seen Bionicle cannabilize the Technic line. We’ve seen the mere existence of Galidor. We know TLG has been capable of making stupid decisions in the past. We’ve seen the color change, so we know they are still capable of making potentially stupid decisions today.

However, the advanced Designer sets (namely land busters and air blazers), the new Millenium Falcon, the UCS Star Wars sets, and some of the S@H exclusives like the famous planes kits all prove that some people at TLG are capable of producing quality designs, regardless of how much juniorization and bad product lines the upper management comes up with. As such, I am fully confident that TLG is capable of producing quality castle sets. The only question is whether or not they want to.

TLG is capable of producing quality castle sets that will appeal to us. They are also capable of producing Ages 4+ castle sets with Jack Stone scaled minifigs and incredibly large juniorized parts. They are capable of making figs with retard faces and bat-wing helmets. They also are capable of blending Bionicle, Galidor, Castle together into some abomination. However, Brad Justus never goes to a convention and says, “You guys are totally gonna love the new constraction - that’s constructable action - figures we’ve got for Castle next year. He knows the people at the lego convention are not interested in that sort of thing . He knows his crowd, so when he says to a LEGO convention crowd that “2004 will be a banner year” for castle, he means that there will, in fact, be Castle stuff that the people he is talking to will like.

So, TLG will produce some good things and also some crap in 2004. That is a given. It’s all within their capabilities. The knight figures we saw were the crap that they are capable of. The goods which they are also capable of are still on their way, and it sounds like they’re actually going to try and make quality castle sets this time. Whey they try to make quality designs, they usually succeed. So, until trans-orange castles with bat-wing helmets and 50 flame parts per kit show up in stores, I’ll assume that the new castle line will be one of their good ideas.

   More and timely info will help keep the ferver to a dull roar.

Yes. However, Jake probably isn’t allowed to talk openly on subjects that borderline on future product announcements without choosing his words carefully and getting permission. Yes, people were frantic on message boards everywhere. However, it’s really only been a handful of days between when the panic began and when Jake addressed the issue. In the grand scheme of things, it’s really not that long, but the internet gets people into a mindset where they expect information immediately.