 Castle / 18627

Subject:
2004 Castle Products
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:29:20 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

What a boost in Castle traffic in the last week! There has been quite a bit of discussion about how system castle is about to be completely and forever replaced by a Castle/Bionicle combo. This info has been gathered (or created) based on leaks, rumors, and incomplete or incorrect info.

It’s important to remember that until you have the actual product in hand, or you have seen/read an official announcement, you don’t know the full story. Rumors can stir up a bit of craziness that generates yet more rumors. The castle furor is a great case in point.

Yes, there is a new Knights Kingdom series coming next year, which does include what we call “constraction” (constructible action) figures. Those figures are previewed currently in the UK edition of LEGO Magazine. Some people have (illogically and hastily) reached the conclusion that these figures = Castle = System-scale Castle is no more. Once this conclusion was reached, panic and hysteria ensues. “Castle has been replaced by Bionicle! By Galidor! Bionicle, Galidor, and Castle have merged into one! System Castle is dead! LEGO doesn’t care about castle fans!”

This is just plain wrong.

The inclusion of one thing doesn’t equal the demise of another. Back to the “wait for the facts” discussion: Who said System scale Castle is dead? Not us. Hey, it’s one of our core, classic themes - do you think we’re just going to trash it?

Without giving away the farm (or fiefdom, for you castle folks), we can say that the existence of these figures in no way precludes the existence of a System-scale Castle theme. And the figures are unequivocally not a replacement for the Castle theme that you all know and love. They are a new dimension to the theme - an addition - which we believe will help draw even more kids to the Castle theme. And though Brad was intentionally cryptic about Castle at the NWBrickCon Q&A (Q: Castle? A: Yes) he wasn’t talking about these figures. System-scale Castle is very much alive. It should be added that the existence of Harry Potter also doesn’t preclude the existence of a more traditional System-scale Castle theme - we’ve not said otherwise. And - here’s a bit of news, by the way - there will be new Harry Potter sets in 2004; and yes, we do have the license through the next movie... at least.

Brad says that he sticks to his statement that next year should be a banner year for Castle-heads. And that’s all we’re going to (or can) say about that - for now.

Let the reading between the lines begin!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

Re: 2004 Castle Products
lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:43:24 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jake McKee wrote:

   Without giving away the farm (or fiefdom, for you castle folks), we can say that the existence of these figures in no way precludes the existence of a System-scale Castle theme. And the figures are unequivocally not a replacement for the Castle theme that you all know and love.

Thank you for explanation. I’d like to ask: how about Pirates? We heard the new Pirate sets will be 4+, with Jack Stone scale figures. That means no more regular minifig scale Pirates?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

--
shgg.

Re: 2004 Castle Products
lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:57:49 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Andrzej M. Szlaga wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Jake McKee wrote:

   Without giving away the farm (or fiefdom, for you castle folks), we can say that the existence of these figures in no way precludes the existence of a System-scale Castle theme. And the figures are unequivocally not a replacement for the Castle theme that you all know and love.

Thank you for explanation. I’d like to ask: how about Pirates? We heard the new Pirate sets will be 4+, with Jack Stone scale figures. That means no more regular minifig scale Pirates?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

The take-away from my last message should be (in part) that no new product by default leads to the demise of another product.

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison LEGO Community Development

Re: 2004 Castle Products
lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:55:44 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jake McKee wrote:
   The take-away from my last message should be (in part) that no new product by default leads to the demise of another product.

So what you are saying is... that... F-F-FABULAND LIVES!!! :) ;P

..Heehee, seriously though, thanks for your words on all this. The Harry Potter vs System-Castle concerns have been here for some time. It is nice to here at least some counter-point to that.

I can’t really comment on the more recent concerns, as I haven’t had the time to lurk (much less post) much outside of .starship during recent months (planning a wedding is eating into my Lego® time). But I can say this: No matter what happens, Lego® Castle will always exist as long as I continue to have the bricks to build it. ;)

Cheerio,

-Hendo

Re: 2004 Castle Products
lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:06:16 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John P. Henderson wrote:
   So what you are saying is... that... F-F-FABULAND LIVES!!! :) ;P

Yes it does, just in the form of a certain mouse¹...

Jason Railton

¹ I’m still curious how much it costs to license a trademark that, according to the law at the time it was registered, should have expired two decades ago...

Re: 2004 Castle Products