 Castle / 15909
Re: Provincial Village
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 05:08:44 GMT

John,
First, lemme just say that these are some of the finest structured MOCs I've
seen in a long time. The architecture and overall "feel" of each piece is
just splendid.
Second, if Lego ever produced such models I'd probably devote my life
savings entirely to The Brick and hide in a cave somewhere continually building.
True, my social life would definately cease to exist, but hey, they're
really good models.
Here's hoping Lego nominates you for next in the MOC line.
::clears throat:: Hint hint Lego!

-Jay
http://members.verizon.net/~vze2px3n/

In lugnet.announce.moc, Jon Furman writes:
Hey All,
I intended to post my year two creations for the modular castle system this
week, but after some thinking I decided not to head in that direction as it
seems to be a bit of a time waste.*
I mentioned that the modular system was not something new that I would build
if I worked for lego, but rather something In the style Lego has produced
that I would buy.

Here is what I myself would build:
A late 16th, early 17 century Provincial Village.

There is a Butcher
Patisserie
Guy and his wife Constance operate the butcher shop. Townsfolk stop in for a
visit and to purchase his delicious sausage links.

A Baker
Bakery
Yvette makes bread and pastries for the villagers in her bakery.  In her
home above the bakery she enjoys a peaceful life.

A Carpenter
Phillipe is an expert at crafting chairs and benches for the locals. He
earns a handsome salary for his finest work.

A Pub
Public Haus
A bustling common room and bar are serviced by Karla the feisty barmaid and
Inga the intrepid brewmistress.  The rounded turret holds the living
quarters, whilethe upper loft is a great place to sing and dance.  Down the
stairs, the finest root beer in the province is being brewed.

Basically the time period is the age of piracy, but the location is
continental Europe not on the high seas. (Think 3 Musketeers, The Count of
Monte Cristo for literary inspiration)
Time period wise, it's more closely related to the Pirate line than the
Castle line, but uses parts from both.

I understand For this to have aggressive play value as a theme there will
need to be an invading enemy and some type of Governmental fortification for
the defending soldiers to issue from.
I didn't build one yet because I don't think a castle type structure does a
good job selling the nuances of a community.   Also, there are so many
occupations for a villager, I think I'd prefer to build those first.
A Silversmith, a Cooper, a Seamstress,  etc.

For the invaders, I think the kettle helms and body armor are a great fit,
color schemes could be determined.

Imagine a battle scene with cannons, crossbows, pikes, muskets, cutlasses,
etc.  You could begin to understand the frustration of a castle defender who
sees a cannon breach his walls for the first time.
As always, PLMKWYT

Jon Furman
Lugnet#1123

*I think the point has been well made that lego could do more with what
they've got, but that going back to what they had isn't a feasible long term
strategy.
My point being that publishing year two would be publishing for sequel's
sake, and sequels should rarely be made for everyone's sake.