 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 819
  Provincial Village

Hey All, I intended to post my year two creations for the modular castle system this week, but after some thinking I decided not to head in that direction as it seems to be a bit of a time waste.* I mentioned that the modular system was not (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates) !!

  Re: Provincial Village

(...) <snip> Excellent work Jon. The sets look great together. Pirate era continental europe certainly looks a happier place than the medieval equivalent. And your sausage machine is very clever! Cheers Richie (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Hi jon! (...) Now, THAT's what a late medieval town should look like! I think you met the style of this time periode very well with those small and narrow houses. If I aimed to find a fault I'd say that the blue soldiers in front of the Public House (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Oh my God, Jon. This is just what I need! Do you have the plans for sale? I just love this whole village. Hugs, Shirley. (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

(...) Hi Jon, Following that train-of-thought, y’know what would be kinda kewl? A battle field scenario… a small stand-off upon a brick terrain. There could be three sets or so, and each terrain piece could be modular. Has this been done? I know (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Jon, I saw this when it went up but wanted to wait for your announcement to avoid thunder-theft. It was hard, though, because this MOC is so cool I could hardly contain myself. Outstanding design all around. If this was a theme from TLC I would buy (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

John, First, lemme just say that these are some of the finest structured MOCs I've seen in a long time. The architecture and overall "feel" of each piece is just splendid. Second, if Lego ever produced such models I'd probably devote my life savings (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Jon, I love your sets. The small details are great and you have captured this time period well. It would be really cool to see a street full of musketeers dueling with the cardinals men. On the opening roof of the butcher's shop you could use two (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Ben, Thanks for your compliments, I think the roof Idea is great as well, the only reason that I didn't go that direction originally is because a lot of the structural integrity of the buildings is focused on the roof. The roof bricks are literally (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

&#65279;Shirley thanks for your unbridled enthusiasm! Unfortunately I didn’t keep a record of the building process, (even if I did, I don’t think I would charge the average builder) but there should be enough photos of each to get you started in the (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

&#65279;JoJo, I’m afraid you are right, those pirate soldier uniforms are out of place in the time period, I was trying to find some way of making a musketeer’s dress uniform (which is harder than I thought!) Thanks for keeping it honest! Jon Furman (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

&#65279;Richie, Thanks for your comments, I appreciate your post a lot. The sausage machine was my favorite part of this entire process! (The guy operating it looks like Ronald Mcdonald too!) Jon (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

&#65279;Richard, I don’t know if it’s been done, but I’d love to see someone do some terrain for this idea( I’m no good at terrain). It would be awesome to see these fully compatible sets. Especially for a battle sequence! Jon (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

&#65279;Bruce, thanks again for the compliments, It’s hard waiting for those pictures to clear the brickshelf censor isn’t it! Those swords are definately wedged in there, I'm gonna have to pull them out to avoid cutlass bendage as well. I agree (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Jason, THanks for the awesome encouragement, unfortuantely I don't think our social lives are in any type of danger! But here's to spending some quality time in a cave (our own separate ones of course!) Jon (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

(...) into a small set that could almost be sold by TLC. I looked at most of the pictures, and wished I had the time to go through every picture and tell you what I liked. I can remember a lot of cool things, like the fire in the baker's oven, the (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Excellent constructions all around, Jon! Impressive and inspiring in the details. That sausage machine had me laughing out loud. -The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

In lugnet.announce.moc, Jon Furman writes: [snip] (...) [snip] Oh my, oh my, oh my! Those are very pretty. I wish I could buy those as sets, would it not be from TLC, then at least as customs. With friendly (and respectfull) greetings, M. (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

(...) Stunningly beautiful. These are great complements for the Blacksmith Shop. These work in that era and also can be used in more modern settings as well (town center buildings, or mixed in with others) Very nice work Jon! Spotlighted (like it (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Provincial Village

Wow these are great, I like these so much! The look and feel, the dark and light, The roofs are teriffic. I'm still ogleing over the pictures, so my thoughts are incomplete. I just had to come over here right away and say how much I like them. I (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

The sets are great! The detail is nice. Only question is, where is the candle stick maker? Evan Riskedahl #1660 (21 years ago, 5-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Just fricken cool. Those look so nice. So realistic! I love em! e. (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Evan, I knew it was coming, just not when it was coming, or where it would come from! Jon (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Brendan, thanks for the Nod! I wondered if I should have made a note about the "violence to spiced meat" in my original post!!;-> Jon (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Thanks George, I appreciate the positive feedback. It's very encouraging. Jon (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

(...) Mmmmm... I could go for some violence to spiced meat right about now. And some eggs. That would be great if all restaurants serving any kind of meat had to have a sign alerting their customers at the entrance: "WARNING - Animals have been (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

I never imagined how cool the word fricken would look if actually written out! THanks for the comments Erick! Jon (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Thank you Eric, I really appreciate your compliments and encouragement. Jon (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Thanks Manfred, I'm encouraged by your compliments, and may start looking into the prospect of selling some of my own creations! Jon (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Larry, I think you are right on about the modern era town idea. These could still exist in a modern setting and work well in a tran or town layout! It would (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Provincial Village

Jon, You're right on the limitations of available colors. Of course, if this were an official set there are other colors that could be swapped in like some of those light yellows or the orangy-brown of the HP Privet Drive set. Unfortunately those (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Jon Furman, very very v e r y impressive work you've made. I didn't had the change to see it earlier this week. But I have to join all the aubades: it's VERY inspiring work! Hope you will share more of this art with us. Thanks! Daan Bargerbos (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Hi Daan! Slightly off topic but worth a note: Daan Bargerbos Lugnet#1589 Very cool member#! (URL) (21 years ago, 7-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

(...) MegaBlocks has done something like this with their "Dragons" line. Paul Sinasohn LUGNET #115 BAYLUG (21 years ago, 7-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

Hi Jojo! off topic, but very nice to know :-) thanks, Daan (...) (21 years ago, 7-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Provincial Village

(...) Then maybe it's beneficial to talk to some of the experts in this field, or at least take a look at their presentation and creations: Of course there are the many and versitile members of the Guild of BricksmithsTM, of wich (in my opinion) (...) (21 years ago, 7-Feb-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)