Re: Color page updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 00:17:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
   Neither did I but if you really cannot find a suitable color for your pattern
an RGB say in the form:

1 #F2F2F2 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 part.dat

would surely solve your problem.

It might fix it (I think it would still gum up the PT with over-zealous hold votes); but why break anything when we’re just talking about adding fewer than 200 lines to the config file?

I think it’s a terrible idea to make dozens of programmers change their software, and dozens more part authors change they way they create parts, and dozens more part reviewers change the way they review parts, just so that we don’t add a few extra lines.

   Since it usually takes a considerable amount of time to get a part through the
PT I don’t expect popping up parts with such a code before a year. Do
you think it will be enough time for the still active programmers to update
their code?

So, you’re saying that since the part tracker is so broken to begin with, it’s ok if we break it even worse? There are perfectly good parts that have been on the tracker for YEARS, either through inattention, or for frivolous hold votes. And I think that holding for using a perfectly valid color code that somebody just decided to leave out of the config file is frivolous. I think that re-submitting perfectly fine official parts to the PT for using one of these valid color codes is equally frivolous.

   But seriously as I stated above I started fixing
parts using MLCad and guess what I came across? Since these

snip images

   have been considered “good enough” to be released as official patterns don’t
you think you’ll find a color that resembles what you are looking for?

I don’t know what you’re driving at with these images. The bottom two are mostly greyscale anyway, and I don’t think that’s where the problem lies.

But here’s an example: http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/3626bph2.dat this file has been on the PT since 2003. It had two certify votes since 2006. Recently, it was held and I had to change a color from a close color match to something that doesn’t look as accurate. I don’t see what we gain by doing this, and now how many years will it take to get this certified?