Re: Color page updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 00:02:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Scott Wardlaw wrote:

I never said that it was meant to limit, only that it is made up of these colors
now.

I have had parts on the Part Tracker held because they used one of these colors.
That means it is limiting.

Please don't take this to mean that new colors can't be added, or that it
invalidates other colors.  We already know of at least one color that should be
added for the next release.  If you know of more that should be added, please
let us know (but don't say every color under the rainbow)

Color numbers 32-47 and 256-511 is not every color under the rainbow.

That is correct, and you probably won't ever find an official part with RGB
values instead of a Color Code.

This is exactly the problem.

Sorry, instead of real bricks, I meant real LEGO pieces.  This can mean printed
bricks, stickers, rubber, etc.

If this is the case, then why are we discussing re-submitting official part
files to replace certain colors?  Just add them to the config file!

You'll note that these have already been added
when they were needed, such as Electric_Contact_Alloy, Rubber_White, etc.

These were already a commonly-used convention when the ldconfig file was first
proposed.

---

The whole problem with this that instead of letting patterned part authors
choose a pretty good color match from a small set of color codes and submitting
the part to the PT, you want them to:

1) request a new color code
2) have that request approved by some person or committee
3) wait for the next part release so the new color can be included in the config
file (because any part that uses a strange code on the PT would get held)

and then finally they can create the part and submit it to the part tracker.

The PT is already dysfunctional (there are prefectly fine files on it from 2003
and earlier); this would make it completely useless.