Re: Color page updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 00:07:02 GMT

In my opinion, just because some of these colors didn't make it into the config
file, that doesn't mean they're not valid, because

  A) we have always tried to maintain backwards compatibility, and
  B) we have to allow not only for the color of molded plastic and rubber
pieces, but also all the colors of printed parts.  There are far more shades of
paint colors used on printed parts then there will ever be of ABS plastic, and
as long as we do patterns as quads and triangles, we have to have a big enough
color palette to accomodate that.

C) So, how about we just add the missing transparent and dithered colors to the
config file?

This isn't the first time that LDconfig.ldr has been updated - and it is just
that, the file has been updated with MORE colors than before.

I think we are loosing sight of the purpose of LDconfig.ldr...

The LDconfig file is meant to be a quick cheat sheet... it is meant to help
standardize the colors used through easy to use Color Codes.  It is meant to be
made up of colors that everyone can recognize.  These colors are simply, the
colors of LEGO parts that exist in the real world.

However, if you want a part to have a color that is not in LDconfig, you can
still spell out the RGB values instead of using the Color Codes.  LDconfig is a
reference for standard colors and does not limit you to only using these colors.

A) No colors were removed from it.  Therefore, it is still backwards compatible.

B) If you think about it, because of manufactoring differences, age, technology
improvements, and even human oversight, there are Red bricks that don't match
other Red bricks.  Fortunately for us, the world of imaginary LEGO can be as
perfect as we would like.  For us, all of the Reds (including stickers and
printed bricks that were intended to be Red) can all be the same color Red.
This is how the LDconfig file helps standardize colors.  Otherwise, everyone
would have different RGB values for the same Red in their parts.

C) The transparent colors that are missing don't actually exist in the real
world.  The ones that you are refering to were made from the original 16 colors
- not actually from real LEGO colors.  The transparent colors that are included
in LDconfig actually exist in real life.  If you do happen to find a real brick
with a color that is not in LDconfig; please let us know.

Likewise with the dithered colors.  This system was a quick (and worthy)
solution when it was created.  In recent years, it has caused a great deal of
problems.  Again, these colors don't exist in real bricks, so should not be
included as colors that LDraw recognizes as a standard.

Scott W.
Member LSC