Re: Color page updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:39:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Sergio Reano wrote:
Anyway, there are still many color codes included in official parts
(39,257,258,260...) that seems are not supported.

I have already rosen the problem in a previous discussion and the answer was
that they where MLCad color codes and not "official" ldraw colors, even if
include in "official" ldraw parts (!?)

So, what about it? How can I translate these color code to or how should I have
to manage them?

I started fixing those parts and they will be uploaded to the PT for
certification since some also include minor primitive substitution as well as
BFCing. However I cannot forseen when those fixes will be ultimately be shipped
in an official parts update (as you know the PT is the best example for
Einstein's quote that "Time is Relative" :-P) .

This leaves you with two posibilities:

* Set all colors which are not listed in the LDConfig.ldr to light gray

or

* handle it like LDView. Which apparently uses an internal color table for those
not in the color file. Travis?

w.

I apparently have missed the discussion when it comes to certain colors are
suddenly "not supported," but I'd like to register my opinion on it.

It is a huge error to be calling colors in the ranges of 32-47 and 256-511 as
"MLCad color codes" or to somehow suggest that they shouldn't be considered
valid just because they don't show up in the LDConfig.ldr file.  As I understand
it, the original LDraw executable defined the following colors:

0 - 15 : prefined set of common part colors
16, 24 : main color, edge color
32 - 47 : the  0 - 15 set of colors, but rendered as transparent (i.e. just
adding 32 to first set)
256 - 511 : dithered colors; these are the main set of colors combined with
each other to form a broader color palette.  This is described at the bottom of
this page: http://www.ldraw.org/OLD/reference/specs/colors.shtml

This has nothing to do with MLCad, except that MLCad supported the original
LDraw's usage of these colors.

Over time, some of the dithered colors were redefined by convention, so that
black+black (256) became black rubber, white+white (511) became white rubber,
yellow+yellow (494) became electrical contact metal.  Eventually the LDConfig
file was created and these were formalized.

In my opinion, just because some of these colors didn't make it into the config
file, that doesn't mean they're not valid, because

  A) we have always tried to maintain backwards compatibility, and
  B) we have to allow not only for the color of molded plastic and rubber
pieces, but also all the colors of printed parts.  There are far more shades of
paint colors used on printed parts then there will ever be of ABS plastic, and
as long as we do patterns as quads and triangles, we have to have a big enough
color palette to accomodate that.

So, how about we just add the missing transparent and dithered colors to the
config file?

Andy