Re: Color page updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:24:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Andrew Westrate wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
   However, if you want a part to have a color that is not in LDconfig, you can
still spell out the RGB values instead of using the Color Codes. LDconfig is a
reference for standard colors and does not limit you to only using these colors.

I have never seen an official LDraw part that defines a custom RGB color, nor
any part on the part tracker do that. How would you even do it? I don’t know
the syntax, and haven’t found any part tracker documentation saying what the
syntax is or saying it’s ok for official parts.

Plus, how many programs actually support custom-defined colors? If this becomes
the mandatory way for part authors to do printed parts, how many programs are
going to be broken?

Neither did I but if you really cannot find a suitable color for your pattern
an RGB say in the form:

1 #F2F2F2 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 part.dat

would surely solve your problem. And I’m going to propose this to the new
elected LSC. As for the broken progs. We will surely break L3Lab

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=4503 ;-)

Since it usually takes a considerable amount of time to get a part through the
PT I don’t expect popping up parts with such a code before a year. Do
you think it will be enough time for the still active programmers to update
their code?

   Once again, it is a mistaken assumption that the LDraw color codes apply only to
actual brick colors. The the LDraw color codes have to allow for any color of
line or polygon which appears in a part file, be it plastic, rubber, metal,
printing, or sticker color. By saying that any part using a color in the
dithered color range is no longer allowed on the part tracker, we are seriously
limiting the ability of part authors to render a “good enough” approximation of
stickers and printed parts.

Well also the old historical RGB values are what they are - approximations.
Since we allow parts carrying “needs work” in the title I guess a “good
enough” color is fair enough. But seriously as I stated above I started fixing
parts using MLCad and guess what I came across? Since these:

have been considered “good enough” to be released as official patterns don’t
you think you’ll find a color that resembles what you are looking for?

w.