Re: Color page updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 20:04:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
   Neither did I but if you really cannot find a suitable color for your pattern
an RGB say in the form:

1 #F2F2F2 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 part.dat

would surely solve your problem. And I’m going to propose this to the new
elected LSC. As for the broken progs. We will surely break L3Lab

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=4503 ;-)

There are already two very old ways to specify RGB colors in LDraw files. One comes from ldlite with somewhere between 12 and 15 effective bits of color information, and the other from L3Lab/L3P with 24 bits of color information. If we’re going to have RGB colors in official files, we need to go with one of those pre-existing formats:
  • 0x2RRGGBB: opaque RGB
  • 0x3RRGGBB: transparent RGB
  • 0x4RGBRGB: opaque dither of two 4-bit RGB colors
  • 0x5RGBxxx: transparent dither of one 4-bit RGB color and clear; the xxx is ignored.
In all of the above examples, the R, G, and B are hex digits, just like in Willy’s example, so 0x2F2F2F2 would produce his sample color.

My personal vote if this were to be allowed would be the 0x2RRGGBB and 0x3RRGGBB forms. These are supported by a lot of software (including L3Lab, L3P, and LDView). The 0x5RGBRGB form is supported by ldlite (along with L3Lab, L3P, and LDView), but is quite awkward.

--Travis