 Announcements / 1961
Blockheads: Regular People, Amazing Creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 01:48:57 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I'm constantly amazed by all the great things people build with LEGO.  Our
eclectic hobby is a rich and expressive nexus of art, science, and humanity.

I've often wished there were a simple way to share this amazement with
people outside the hobby.  Unfortunately, most outsiders never see even a
glimpse into our world.  They've seen Legoland or maybe a few toy store
displays, but remain completely unaware of treasures like Eric Harshbarger's
working life-size grandfather clock, Eric Kingsley's nursery room railway,
or Henry Lim's colossal brickasaurus.

If there's one thing to be learned from going to public events like train
shows and NWBrickCon, however, it's that visitors are blown away by what
they see.  And they look at LEGO with renewed curiosity when they realize
that the artisans aren't LEGO employees but regular people.

I want to tap this curiosity and help these people find our community's most
delicious mind candy.  I want to take them on a lavish pictorial excursion
into our world and show them who we are, what we do, and why we do it.

So I'm writing a book -- a coffee-table-style photo book with large, rich,
colorful photographs and text both biographical and narrative.  The gist of
the book is "adult LEGO enthusiasts and the amazing things they do and build
with LEGO," but it also covers offline social aspects such as events, clubs,
and gaming.  Titles under consideration include:

   Blockheads:  Regular People, Amazing Creations
   A LEGO Way of Life
   Masters of the Brick
   Artisans of Brick
   The Unsung Art of LEGO Building
   The Magic of LEGO Building

Why do I think I can write this book?  First, I love working with people
and I relate to LEGO fans.  Second, I enjoy writing and photography and I
believe I can communicate well through words and pictures.  Third, I think I
have a well-rounded understanding of the hobby.  Fourth, this feels like the
right time in my life to do this and I have a job with a flexible vacation
schedule.  Fifth and finally, I've toyed in my head with the idea of doing
something like this for several years and I'm very excited that it's finally
possible for me.

So far, it's been a great pleasure working with Lindsay Braun, Tom Duggan,
Joe Comeau, Shaun Sullivan, and Sun Yun, all of whom have been outstanding
sports.  A small sampling of photos of Tom's and Sun's work, and a few
NWBrickCon and NELUG BrikWars photos, are available here:

   http://www.lugnet.com/~1/Book/

This sampling gives a flavor of the types of photos I'm after.  Although I
made people the main focus here, the book will hold a better balance between
the two.

I look forward to meeting more people at BricksWest!  I leave for LA in the
morning and will be staying some with Henry Lim and Ron Kittle.  If you're in
town for the event and are interested in being a part of this book, by all
means please find me.  I'll be wandering around a lot with camera in hand.
If you live in the area and are interested, just help me get to your place.

--Todd

Mini-FAQ:

Q:  When will the book come out?