 Books / 236
Re: Blockheads: Regular People, Amazing Creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:31:36 GMT

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 3:01PM -0600, John Henry Kruer wrote:
Do you plan to make a profit from this?

I hope to at least make back what I put into it, sure.

Is it neccesary to do a live interview?

No, but it's a lot better than over the telephone or e-mail.  I have 4
hours of audio tapes (I don't have a phonographic memory) from meeting
with Sun Yun last week.  We mostly just chatted while he assembled
models and I took pictures.  Not a typical "interview" style interview
(pretty relaxed) but I learned just as much and I can follow-up on the
phone or e-mail if I have other questions.

Could we parhaps take pictures ourselves and do the talking via the
internet?

I haven't thought about pictures yet.  I have been planning to take all
the photos myself...for legal reasons mostly, but that's not an
immutable decision.

What are the criteria for the models and people shown?

Good question.  I don't know if I can codify the criteria.  The
creations certainly ought to have an appeal to the general public and be
unique within reason.

What about us who can't travel, are not as famous, or can't attend
Fests?

Famous isn't a criteria.  Getting to a fest helps.  I plan to travel as
much as I can.

What are your estimates of the book?  What's the intended price,
length,
fanfare, etc.

Intended price: US$20 softcover, US$35 hardcover. Something in that
area.

Intended length: 224 pages.  :)

Fanfare: Do you mean promotion? I believe that's usually negotiated with
the publisher...so something for down the road.  I don't really know
yet.  Typically, book authors invest a lot of personal time into
promoting their book, speaking at bookstores, booking radio interviews,
etc.  The publisher typically takes care of listing it and finding large
buyers like Barnes & Noble, but not going out in the trenches and
actually promoting it with zest.

Are considering making different editions in the future?

Mmm, ask me again in a year, eh?  :)

--Todd (wandering around the Midway airport in Chicago with 25 pounds of
camera equipment strapped to my back during a two-hour layover. :-)