 Adventurers / 367
Re: Toward LUGNET equality
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:15:12 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:

Mark Lindsey wrote:
Some here at LUGNET are not too happy with postings put in this group
recently.  That is unfortunate.

Hi Mark,

I was watching that Adventurers movie thread in .General myself with
some irritation, since I am not interested in it at all and it really
didn't belong there.

The thing about Lugnet is not that it excludes certain types of
discussion, but that it directs discussion into focused areas, so that
people only see what they ask to see. There are plenty of areas for
discussions not related to lego - see the offtopic groups - as well as a
myriad of focused groups for any type of Lego discussion. If you feel
that there isn't a suitable group for what you want to discuss, you can
ask Todd about creating one - he has donw it before for special
requests, if there was support for the idea (ie more than 1 person
interested!).

So am I
to search for a group posting format that will allow for all ideas to >be discussed, no matter how far out they may be, with equanimity?

If that's what you want, it already exists, as RTL: but Lugnet was
created partly because that fact about RTL - that almost anything goes -
caused a desire for more focused groups.

Kevin
--
Email: kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com
Web page:

Mark, If you got a "smack on the hand" by Todd, don't worry about it.  We all get smacked occasionally.  He is most often correct.  We should
stay focused, as hard as it sometimes is.  If I sometimes go off on a tangent (as I sometimes do), I always try to remember to relate the
topic to LEGO before finishing the post.  If I can't relate it to anything in LEGO, then I shouldn't be posting it there.  That's why
Adventure shows are not OK, but minifigs with Boobs are OK.  (Go figure!)

But if you want to go off on any general tangent, then you should be posting it to RTL.  The whole reason for having LUGNET is to get away
from the mayhem and nastiness that often occurs in RTL.  I guess that RTL is sort of a mature refuge for LEGO topics.  And occasionally we
get reminded of that by Todd (and others).    And yeah we all get into a huff when that occurs.  But you get over it.

Stay the course....

Gary Istok