 Trains / 9774
Re: Latest catalog information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:32:18 GMT

Probably not. This is NOT the "create a model from a robust but limited
palette" thing that was discussed as being under development for a possible
2002 release.

OK, thank you for clarifying that :)

If not, then (once again) Lego will have
failed to live up to expectations.

Not exactly, it's more like you have *let* your expectations become
incorrectly set by *reading too much* into announcements. Rather than
getting all spun up, why not *wait* for the catalog and see what exactly
*is* being offered? Lots less stress that way. You're an adult, you can
wait, right?

And if, at that time, it doesn't meet your wildest dreams, ask yourself
these questions:

- Are you the target market for this particular step?
- Is it a step in the right direction?
- Can you wait for the next steps, or do you have to demand that you want
everything and you want it now?

My answers are, in order, are going to be: "No", "Yes", and "I can wait".
Yours should be too.

I guess I am tired of people who expect everything to change all at once,
who don't get how incremental change works, and while not being perfect
themselves, expect perfection in others. That's not you, but a bit of that
attitude is present in your post.

I don't expect it to meet my wildest dreams, but I _will_ be disapointed if all
I can do with it is order a 4561 in green/yellow :).  Frankly, any step TLC
takes to make more trains is good, but I would far rather be able to play with
even 100 pieces in a designer than to be limited to a fixed set of modules.
That said, I would far rather be able to play with a fixed set of modules that
are somewhat cool/real train like than to be stuck with choosing the colour of
a 4561 :).  And I'd far rather be able to choose the colour of a 4561 than not
have any trains at all...

Heck, if the modules were along the lines of front nose, cab and body, along
with 4 axles or 6, then we have all that a real railway has right now :).

It's just that I can _so_ see this being 4561 available in different colours,
which would disapoint me.

BTW, could the original poster (or anyone else with the new catalog) please
post a scan of the page with this on it?  Some of us might othewise not see the
real announcement for 2-3 weeks more.

(or perhaps LD could post the relevent page(s)?)

James