 Trains / 9844
Re: Latest catalog information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:59:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
So if you could switch out the boiler color (which I'm NOT sayiny you can),
would you want aditional boiler color parts packs of different optional
colors? For instance the base engine + one boiler color pack costs X,
additional boilers color packs cost Y?

Well, if we could say 'give me 30 boiler packs in green', just to get the
parts, then TLC wouldn't shift all that many whole trains in the long run.

Yes, I'd like to be able to order extra packs in specific colours - but what
I'd really like to see is Shop @ Home Bulk, or the Service Packs, providing
a much wider range of colours.  I'd suggest that LD provide this by coming
up with a pack of assorted bricks (or bricks and slopes), then selling it in
a range of colours.

I suspect that LD can foresee a huge glut of orders for specific colour
parts if they provide that option for this steam engine, so it's unlikely to
happen that way.

And I wouldn't expect to be able to tailor all the colours on the engine
individually - if it is colour-customised, probably all coloured bricks
(blue in the picture) will be the same colour (not just the boiler).
[Steven - sorry if that's what you were already thinking].

I don't want to expect too much of this and then be disappointed.  As Larry
suggested, it's probably not targeted at the AFOL(T) community.  But, has
anyone else got any ideas of how the train could be customised (in a simple
and marketable way)?  It might be pushing things a bit, but what about
optional designs of engine and tender?  You could feasibly do two designs of
each, using exactly the same number of coloured bricks, then offer
combinations of engine + tender + colour pack.  Admittedly it's unlikely,
but it's possible.  Maybe next time.

I guess since Brad is sure to read this thread, here's your chance to
speculate and voice your desires w.r.t. this offering.

I suspect that what we are going to get in April has already been decided,
but if it's a case of saying what we'd like to see, well, lots of stuff really.

The initial responses to this thread (based on the wording, not the picture)
were assuming some sort of highly customisable engine, in the diesel style.
Though that's not my scene, I can see the attraction of a simple modular
design, with interchangeable cabin/body/engine details, in varying shapes
and colours.

Personally, I think you could do a better job of this with wagons.  We
already have a standard long wagon base pack - I'd like to see a short one
too though.  Then, have things like short coal trucks, box cars, hopper
wagons and long passenger carriages in a few simple designs, but with a wide
selection of colours.  The standard bricks are in one bag, the colour
specific ones in another.  Maybe even two-tone carriages, with a body colour
and a window/trim colour.  This makes the doors hard to do though, so short
of painting the top halves to order, the carriage could be designed to have
the doors all in the body colour and just the windows in the trim colour.

Actually, trains are a great way to push this sort of distribution forward.
None of the other Lego themes could be made as modular as this (despite the
best efforts of the Life on Mars designers :-) .  I think for it to grow
though, Lego need to sell more trains, which means breaking down the entry
point price barrier.  And hopefully this steam train is just the start.

SteveB
P.S. so dream (don't whine) and stay focused!

Yeah, the trouble with dreaming is that you have to wake up occasionally and
go to work.  Shame really.

Jason J Railton.