 Trains / 839
  high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

Something I noticed while driving past the rail yard and while watching "Extreme Machines" or was it "Trains Unlimited" is a trick that both high-speed trains and freight trains use to reduce rolling resistance. The trick is to cut down the rolling (...) (25 years ago, 17-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) Been there, done that. An artic was the very first thing I tried. I can't find the pics anymore but it was pretty fragile. It used 2x2 turntables for the pivots. I did a 5 unit double stack just before I left CO. See: (URL) and go to the (...) (25 years ago, 17-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) I did a metroliner like that: SEE (URL) from menu: Trains and then Articulated Metroliner OR Direct link without navigation: (URL) Brok Visit LEGO ON MY MIND: (URL) Control section: (URL) section: (URL) (25 years ago, 17-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) I forgot about this one. Oh well. Also I learned that Larry has done a bunch of flatbeds. I have not had time to go through all of Larry's site. (...) (25 years ago, 17-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote (in part): (...) <snip> (...) You can look at my Freight Container Car page. (URL) -Z- (25 years ago, 18-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

OK OK I get the point..been there done that. I guess I need to spend more time looking at all your web sites. Sorry for overlooking/forgetting some of the things that have been done out there! Chris (...) (25 years ago, 18-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) Yes, but use them to get ideas, not to reject working on your own creations!!! There are SO MANY different kinds of container articulateds in the prototype that we modelers have bareley scratched the surface. Keep building. No one has done a (...) (25 years ago, 18-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) What do you mean by January trains? This news group in Januray? Also, where do you get most of your information, books about real trains, books about model trains, modeling magazines? I keep saying that I am going to get this book The Great (...) (25 years ago, 18-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: strange flat bed cars

Larry makes a great point! ("don't let the fact that someone has already tried to build a model/car keep you from trying") I was inspired to build mine after standing about 10 feet from a 9-segment spine car passed at very slow speed, with 2-high (...) (25 years ago, 18-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) Sorry, should have Capitalized. the January issue of Trains Magazine, published by Kalmbach. I can't comment on the book, haven't seen it. (25 years ago, 18-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

Just a copuple weeks ago I took the train from Portland to Seattle. It s was the Amtrak (Talgo) passenger train. It has only one axle between cars. I tried to find some pics but ran out of time here is a URL (URL) plan to make one, I think this one (...) (25 years ago, 18-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) Some very fancy engineering...you are not kidding. The car has to swing like a pendulum (or would LEGO shock absorbers have enough give to allow the the bottom of the car to swing out--maybe weights would help by adding a bit more inertia for (...) (25 years ago, 18-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) Hi Chris, I did just this with my #4559 about 18 months ago. I built stretched 2 wheel "Super bogies" that support the ends of adjacent cars. And, since the train end (tail) has the same s-bogie, I fashioned a tailcap that continues the train (...) (25 years ago, 20-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

What makes the Talgo train a challenging model is not only the common *single* wheelset between cars, but that the cars pivot inward when rounding curves to allow a higher speed and more comfortable ride for the passengers. I've made cars that will (...) (25 years ago, 21-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

I think you are right, the "steering" of the single wheelset must be linked to the swinging of the car. The weight of the cars would hold the wheelset straight, but as the train goes into the curve the swinging action would cause the wheelset to (...) (25 years ago, 22-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

Ben Fleskes wrote in message ... (...) *single* (...) to (...) made (...) rotation (...) with a (...) allowed (...) derail. (...) Actually, the Talgo trains do *not* pivot inward (like your model does, and my version of the Metroliner [1] [2]), but (...) (25 years ago, 22-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  (canceled)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

Eric, If the pivot point on you model was moved to the top then you train would act like a Talgo train. Instead of the top moving inward, the bottom would swing out. The swing of the cars has to be translated to a bending of the joint between the (...) (25 years ago, 22-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) THIS.........^^^ is a footnote error. A footnote to a footnote belongs in the footnote text, not after the first footnote reference (...) Like this.........^^^ (...) &&& *** &&& - use a different marking scheme for the footnote listing (...) (25 years ago, 22-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

Christopher Masi wrote in message <36F65C5C.414FB274@c...ne.edu>... (...) act (...) swing (...) go (...) The main difference: with leaning inward, the lean angle has to be mechanically induced by turning the bogies, while in the pendulum structure, (...) (25 years ago, 22-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) How about: on each bogie but the first/last, have 2 vertical axles, one for each car; each with a 24t gear (the 2 of which are meshing). Mount the 2 cars using that bogie (or their pendulum bases, rather) on these 2 axles, and the bogie will (...) (25 years ago, 22-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

Larry Pieniazek wrote: snip stuff about footnoting (...) Right the wheels are not on the same axel. At first I thought this was so the wheels could travel at different speeds, but differentials are not brought up elsewhere in trains (are they) so I (...) (25 years ago, 22-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) That is in fact the reason that they are separate. If they are on a common axle, the outer wheel tends to want to climb up and rub the flange against the inner side of the rail (remember, train wheels have a tapered profile, the diameter on (...) (25 years ago, 23-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) the (...) encouter (...) ends (...) Exactly; rather than the wheelset turning the cars, the first car to enter a curve (or leave it) turns against the "stationary" second car, while the wheelset turns "half as fast", or to half the angle, (...) (25 years ago, 23-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

Christopher Masi wrote in message <36F6B0BC.62F3D5E@cm...ne.edu>... (...) the (...) up (...) The only place I have ever seen differentials mentioned was in relation to geared locomotives like Shays, Climaxes, and Heislers. I think it was Shay who (...) (25 years ago, 24-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars

(...) tried (...) some (...) bottom (...) all (...) Found this web page that looks promising for some "engineering-ish" drawings and explanation of the Talgo car coupling and pendulum swaying. (URL) Mathis (...) (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)