 Trains / 6772
Re: New train MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:36:11 GMT

A "full length" High Cube Box Car is 86 feet long.  That's what I was going
for with mine, but it was too long to negotiate the curves, so I shortened
it considerably.  High Cubes came in many lengths from 40 feet to 60 feet to
86 feet.

"John Neal" <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message

Paul Foster wrote:

I built a couple of boxcars based on your design and they seem long when
compared to the Larry hopper.  What is the average length of a real life
boxcar in feet?

Box cars have come in many lengths-- the quintessential box car from • around the
turn of the century was 40'.  Many newer ones are 50'.  Some box cars • don't even
look to scale next to others!  So, prototypically speaking, just about any • size
would be okay.  Of course, the same can be said of hoppers.  They have • come in
different lengths as well.

-John