 Trains / 6644
Re: New train MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:17:03 GMT

"Christopher Masi" <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message
news:397D1BA5.385EED0E@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu...
I do not know about the EMD GP38 or the SD40-2, but usually the high nose • was
for generating steam for passneger trains. I am sure if I have this info • wrong
I'll be corrected, but I think I am right.
Chris

Southern Railway (among a few others in North America) prefered to run their
diesels "long hood forward" for safety, therefore there was no advantage to
a low short hood.  And they would look odd with the long short nose in the
back (they actually did this at least with one unit).  These units did not
have steam generators, as they were freight only units.  For some execellent
pictures of SR equipment check out (look for the "F" below the walkway on
the long hood end):
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/archives.html

Tom Cook wrote: