 Trains / 6770
Re: New train MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:30:11 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

Paul Foster wrote:

I built a couple of boxcars based on your design and they seem long when
compared to the Larry hopper.  What is the average length of a real life
boxcar in feet?

Box cars have come in many lengths-- the quintessential box car from around • the
turn of the century was 40'.  Many newer ones are 50'.  Some box cars don't • even
look to scale next to others!  So, prototypically speaking, just about any • size
would be okay.

There is an upper limit on length somewhere in the 80-100 foot range, and
there is an upper limit on height as well. Of course width is the most tighly
constrained. HiCubes (what the B&O boxcar Paul is referring to) look very
wrong in real life, they really stick out.

The enclosed car carriers, Autoracks, are about 90' long, and they dwarf the
signle door box cars on the trains that I see.

I know...you are talking about box cars, but I had nothing to say about box cars
that had not alread been said...

Boxcars as a proportion of the fleet are on the downswing, though. The market
is changing away from general merchandise so many boxcars are actually in
special service anyway. Most hi cubes carry large bulky lightweight things
like auto body stampings, due to weight limits per axle (and no one seriously
uses 3 axle freight trucks that I know of.

Last week I saw a tank car with 4 axels per truck. Actually, it looked more like
each end of the tank car had a compound truck which was made of two trucks. It
was alot, 1.3 to 1.5 times, longer than the other tank cars around it but no
wider or taller. I wondered why anyone would bother. I guess if they are hauling
an extremely dense liquid there it could work out that the larger 8 truck tanker
could be more economical.

Again, I know...you are talking about box cars, but I had nothing to say about
box cars that had not alread been said...

Chris

Of course, the same can be said of hoppers.  They have come in
different lengths as well.

Mine is only a 2 bay so therefore pretty short. I might look at doing a 3 or 4
bay which would lengthen it.

++Lar