 Trains / 6762
Re: New train MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 18:10:22 GMT

I have been wondering about the couplers. In the recent past at least two cars
have been shown with couplers that have problems when being pushed. Maybe there
is a way to design a coupler that is free to pivot when it is being pulled, but
when it is being pushed the coupler slides into a channel that keeps it from
pivoting or limits the amount the coupler pivots. But going backwards through
turns would become a problem unless the lateral force from the curve could pull
the mechanism out of the channel a bit, and once the lateral force is gone the
coupler is puched back into the channel.

I am thinking about a 1 x 6 technic plate sliding in and out of a channel
created by two small wing plates.
Pull mode
                  ______
                   \        |
                      \     |
  __________   \_|
(___________)  __
                         /    |
                        /     |
                       /___|

Push mode
           ______
            \        |
               \     |
  ________\_|
                  /    |
                 /     |
                /___|

And turn mode, I will not even try to draw turn mode, but maybe the peg could
be pulled out because the car behind it is forcing the beam to pivot? Eh,
probably wouldn't work, but I may give it a try one of these days if I need to
make an extended coupler.

Chris

Tom Cook wrote: