 Trains / 6763
Re: New train MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 18:27:04 GMT

YES!  I know this has been done in model railroading, so it should be
possible in LEGO too.  I look forward to a successful design, Chris.

"Christopher Masi" <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message
I have been wondering about the couplers. In the recent past at least two • cars
have been shown with couplers that have problems when being pushed. Maybe • there
is a way to design a coupler that is free to pivot when it is being • pulled, but
when it is being pushed the coupler slides into a channel that keeps it • from
pivoting or limits the amount the coupler pivots. But going backwards • through
turns would become a problem unless the lateral force from the curve could • pull
the mechanism out of the channel a bit, and once the lateral force is gone • the
coupler is puched back into the channel.

I am thinking about a 1 x 6 technic plate sliding in and out of a channel
created by two small wing plates.
Pull mode
                  ______
                   \        |
                      \     |
  __________   \_|
(___________)  __
                         /    |
                        /     |
                       /___|

Push mode
           ______
            \        |
               \     |
  ________\_|
                  /    |
                 /     |
                /___|

And turn mode, I will not even try to draw turn mode, but maybe the peg • could
be pulled out because the car behind it is forcing the beam to pivot? Eh,
probably wouldn't work, but I may give it a try one of these days if I • need to
make an extended coupler.

Chris

Tom Cook wrote: