 Trains / 4706
Re: Train Stoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:52:15 GMT

I have an image in my mind of a thing like a switch, but it's just a
break in one rail, so that if it's open, the stock will fall off, but if
it's closed, it just looks like an ordinary stretch of track. Does this
ring any bells with anyone?

It serves the same function that Larry describes, with the open end
facing away from the main line to catch anything heading that way that
shouldn't be. This would be used (I imagine) with an interlock for the
switch off the main line, so that both have to be thrown at the same
time.

Yep, if you have a Peco stockist closeby you can see them, they are called
"catch points" in English railroading, and are built exactly like that, usually
leading into a large box of sand.

James P