 Trains / 4679
Re: Train Stoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 01:56:11 GMT

I have played with this problem unsuccessfully. My theory is that
something that can take the collision force HAS to be placed so as to be
against the ties, and further, shear must be counteracted somehow.
Everything I did comes apart after about 10 collisions. For springback
action (unprototypical but easier on the works) try the cyberslams
dart/rubber bullet thing??

Actually, they are quite prototypical...just not typical installation on the
end of a siding.  They are used in places where you _cannot_ allow the train to
procede onwards, such as dead end stations.  Take a look at a photo of say
Euston Station (anyone have a url handy?) and you will see that the buffer
stops are sprung/resistive (hydraulic, IIRC).  Hitting the bufferstops is
usually considered _very_ bad form, and ends up with the driver getting brownie
points.

James P