 Trains / 4684
Re: Train Stoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:58:58 GMT

Take a look at a photo of say
Euston Station (anyone have a url handy?) and you will see that the buffer
stops are sprung/resistive (hydraulic, IIRC).  Hitting the bufferstops is
usually considered _very_ bad form, and ends up with the driver getting
brownie points.

This must be UK/US as I infer meaning to be "demerits" or black marks. But US
usage of "brownie points" is the opposite, it means credit with a superior
because of a favor rendered (or because of synchophantic activity)

Neato.

I dug up a photo, but Geocities was stupid last night.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/2049/LegoJPG/Buffer.html
Which should give you a idea of what I am talking about :)

Brownie points...the use of the name has changed, it used to be a bad thing,
now it is a good thing...I guess it changed 70's or so, and since so much of
what I read about US railways is pre that, it is not used in that context any
more.

James