 Trains / 4685
Re: Train Stoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:31:47 GMT

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Larry Pieniazek (<Fr34wr.101@lugnet.com>) wrote at
04:10:03

A device called a derail is used. This device, which looks a bit like a switch
frog and a bit like an anvil, mounts trackside. It rotates clear, or rotates to
drop in place. When in place, it sits up about 3 inches above one rail and cars
rolling to it will have one wheel lifted off the track and then dumped on the
outside of the rail, which effectively derails the truck (the other wheel is
pulled off). Derailed cars usually don't roll much farther, hence the main is
protected.

I have an image in my mind of a thing like a switch, but it's just a
break in one rail, so that if it's open, the stock will fall off, but if
it's closed, it just looks like an ordinary stretch of track. Does this
ring any bells with anyone?

It serves the same function that Larry describes, with the open end
facing away from the main line to catch anything heading that way that
shouldn't be. This would be used (I imagine) with an interlock for the
switch off the main line, so that both have to be thrown at the same
time.

Take a look at a photo of say
Euston Station (anyone have a url handy?) and you will see that the buffer
stops are sprung/resistive (hydraulic, IIRC).  Hitting the bufferstops is
usually considered _very_ bad form, and ends up with the driver getting
brownie points.

This must be UK/US as I infer meaning to be "demerits" or black marks. But US
usage of "brownie points" is the opposite, it means credit with a superior
because of a favor rendered (or because of synchophantic activity)

I thought that brownie points were worth collecting as well :-)
--
Tony Priestman

(in the UK)