 Trains / 4675
Re: Train Stoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:23:49 GMT

Bear in mind that in the real world, arresting devices such as described here
only last for one or two substantial collisions before succumbing to fatigue
and shear.
I would suggest building your arrestors so that they "break-away" near the
base when forced to absorb great impacts (I picture a structure that's
anchored between ties with 4 2x6 slopes [two pointing uptrack, two pointing
down, with at least one tie between the two sets of mounting points] with the
arrestor bridging the gap between mounting points, it should break away if
impacted with too great a force, leaving the mounting points below the level
of the trucks.) Coupled with your current knowledge of how robust such a
construction needs to be, it should be childs play (sorry, couldn't resist) to
build an arrestor which will stand up to a few collisions before needing to be
maintained. (This also provides an opportunity for yet another specialized MOW
vehicle for the Arrestor Maintenance Crew.)

-Cheese

I have played with this problem unsuccessfully. My theory is that
something that can take the collision force HAS to be placed so as to be
against the ties, and further, shear must be counteracted somehow.
Everything I did comes apart after about 10 collisions. For springback
action (unprototypical but easier on the works) try the cyberslams
dart/rubber bullet thing??

Dean Husby wrote:

I've been playing around with the end of track stoppers but have yet to
come up with something that works.

I'd like to hear what other people/groups have come up with.

I have the 4553 train wash but find all the impact is on the magnet
coupler.
I'd like something softer that could take a bit more impact.

Any ideas?

Dean

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar