 Trains / 4694
Re: Train Stoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:48:48 GMT

Tony Priestman wrote:

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Larry Pieniazek (<Fr34wr.101@lugnet.com>) wrote at
04:10:03

A device called a derail is used. This device, which looks a bit like a switch
frog and a bit like an anvil, mounts trackside. It rotates clear, or rotates to
drop in place. When in place, it sits up about 3 inches above one rail and cars
rolling to it will have one wheel lifted off the track and then dumped on the
outside of the rail, which effectively derails the truck (the other wheel is
pulled off). Derailed cars usually don't roll much farther, hence the main is
protected.

I have an image in my mind of a thing like a switch, but it's just a
break in one rail, so that if it's open, the stock will fall off, but if
it's closed, it just looks like an ordinary stretch of track. Does this
ring any bells with anyone?

Yes. I believe this is how derails used to be done a long time ago. But
doing it this way requires actual trackwork, in that a section of rail
needs to be removed, and some very precise relaying of track (with
plates below to support the single point moving to and from) has to be
done.

The modern device I described can be installed on an existing siding and
the installation consists of drilling 2 holes in the web of the rail,
and bolting this device on, then mounting the lever that flips it to the
side of the track.

It serves the same function that Larry describes, with the open end
facing away from the main line to catch anything heading that way that
shouldn't be. This would be used (I imagine) with an interlock for the
switch off the main line, so that both have to be thrown at the same
time.

I have heard of this but it's not that common in the US, most derails
are manual and depend on the brakeman remembering to throw them. There
are, of course (always!!) exceptions. Derails are (almost?) never used
to protect interlockings, just sidings.

Interlockings and drawbridges are sometimes protected by "smashboards"
which don't actually protect, but do offer evidence that the engineer
ignored the signal indication. (a smashboard is just as it sounds, a
mechanism to put a board into the path of the train when a signal has a
certain indication, such that the train will smash it if it proceeds
through)

At low density interlockings you sometimes saw gates across the lower
density track. This is less common nowadays as most interlockings are no
longer human tended, they are controlled from the CTC board, hundreds of
miles away.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!