 Trains / 24544
Re: What if.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:46:34 GMT

Leaving off the end isn't a bad idea! In my mind's eye I see the end terminate
as any other single plate thickness. Great thinking!

How about a 1x2 stud notch off the end too. This way if a pair are tight up
against each other (or a 6xn plate is inserted at the same level) a wire can be
routed through. I guess you can argue that the hole can be any size that is
bigger then the wire, although the larger opening reduces wire wear and opposing
torque to pivoting trucks.

As for strength... I just don't see how the Train Base Plate (TBP) is a huge
factor in strength. Of course alone they are clearly stronger then a single
plate but many (if not all) of us have built trains with no TBP and have only
the hassle of securing the Technic plates to hold the trucks, not so much the
hassle of overall strength. As an example, a typical passenger coach or box car
is usually not dependent at all on the TBP for strength. Of course I agree that
the more flatbed like train cars are certainly strengthened by TBP.

As for more holes sure, but I can't think of reason that holes between stud rows
1 & 2 or 2 & 3 would be used. Are there any examples or theories, I'm stumped.
:)

Overall I think its a great idea! It reduces the number of elements and
increases flexibility with only minimal downside! I am always in favor of fewer
parts in more available colors!

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
A very interesting idea, it takes the advantages of the train bases (strength
with with the height saving of the inset bogie (truck)) but with far more
flexibility of use.
I think Lar's suggestion of leaving off one end and adding more holes would make
it even more versatile, I'm in two minds about how strong it would be, but
basically it would be stronger than a single plate.
If you did make it without one end you could mock it up by cutting the end off a
standard train base and drilling some more holes.

Tim