 Trains / 24560
Re: What if.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:34:36 GMT

How about a 1x2 stud notch off the end too. This way if a pair are tight up
against each other (or a 6xn plate is inserted at the same level) a wire can be
routed through. I guess you can argue that the hole can be any size that is
bigger then the wire, although the larger opening reduces wire wear and opposing
torque to pivoting trucks.

Do you mean at the end of the top surface? If so I think is would be a useful
idea.

As for strength... I just don't see how the Train Base Plate (TBP) is a huge
factor in strength. Of course alone they are clearly stronger then a single
plate but many (if not all) of us have built trains with no TBP and have only
the hassle of securing the Technic plates to hold the trucks, not so much the
hassle of overall strength. As an example, a typical passenger coach or box car
is usually not dependent at all on the TBP for strength. Of course I agree that
the more flatbed like train cars are certainly strengthened by TBP.

As for more holes sure, but I can't think of reason that holes between stud rows
1 & 2 or 2 & 3 would be used. Are there any examples or theories, I'm stumped.
:)

The added height of the side probably increases the strength considerably (its
like a girder) but yes, most models have the strength elsewhere in the structure
anyway and its not really an issue at all. Taking off the end would have
negligable effect anyway.

Tim